In honor of February being National Dental Month for pets, we thought pet parents could benefit from an article about their canine companions dental hygiene.
Canine Dental Hygiene
More than likely, dental hygiene is a priority for your own health, but did you know you were supposed to be brushing your dog’s teeth on a regular basis? Many pet parents purchase quality pet food products that are supposed to protect the gums and help teeth remain strong. They may even invest in dental hygiene treats. However, you should also take the time to brush your dog’s pearly whites!
Why It’s Important to Brush Your Dog’s Teeth
Dental hygiene for dogs consist of many aspects. Brushing your dog’s teeth is just one way to help your pet stay healthy. Just a few of the benefits of brushing your dog’s teeth are listed below.
- When you brush your dog’s teeth on a daily basis, you will help prevent your dog from developing bad breath. A foul odor coming from your dog’s mouth can be disruptive to your household, and can make visitors shy away from loving on your pooch.
- Brushing your dog’s teeth is the best way to help prevent dental hygiene issues from developing in your pet. The average dog over the age of 5 experiences dental hygiene issues, since most pet owners do not prioritize oral hygiene for their pets.
- By brushing your dog’s teeth, you will become familiar with your dog’s mouth. You will notice if the gums look different or if your dog has broken a tooth, in which case you can take him to a qualified veterinary professional.
Tips on Brushing Your Dog’s Teeth
1. Timing is Everything
- Wait until your dog is calm and relaxed. If possible, make it part of your daily routine!
2. Have your Tool Kit Ready
- Get a toothbrush especially made for dogs, as well as dog-friendly toothpaste. Human toothpaste can contain ingredients that can harm your pet.
3. Be Aware of Body Language
- Create a relaxed atmosphere by kneeling by your canine when going in for a good teeth brushing. Standing over your dog or having a more aggressive stance can result in increased anxiety for Fido.
4. Transition Period
- If you have never brushed your dog’s teeth before, start slow. Let Fido get use to it by first placing your finger along his upper gums and teeth.
- Once he is comfortable with this, you can move forward with a full cleaning.
5. The Taste of Hygiene
- Get a flavor of toothpaste that your dog will like. Before using it, let Fido sniff the paste to see if he has any interest in the flavor you’ve chosen.
6. It’s Time
- To begin, lift your dog’s upper lip and angle the toothbrush 45 degrees. When massaging the gum line, remember to be very gentle.
- Just like when you’re brushing your own teeth, it is ideal to use a small circular motion. Brush the entire mouth, but feel free to pay more attention to areas with a buildup of plague.
Note: Initially, it is normal for your dog’s gums to lightly bleed. However, if there is a lot of blood or it continues to happen, talk to your veterinarian.
7. Be Encouraging
- Help your dog stay calm and learn that the toothbrush is not a punishment by giving him praise and reassuring affection throughout the process.
- If all goes well, reward your canine companion with a treat! NuVet Plus comes in a delicious wafer, and helps support canine health.
- 2 minutes a day should keep the bad oral hygiene away! Although it is great to brush your pet’s teeth daily, it may not be necessary. Talk to your veterinarian to determine which frequency is best for your dog.
In addition to purchasing a tooth brush made especially for dogs, you might want to consider investing in a pet supplement product made especially for canine health.
NuVet Plus canine is made specifically to build the canine immune system. The NuVet Plus formula includes a well-balanced blend of vitamins, minerals, nutrients and antioxidants for dogs, and it promotes the development of healthy teeth and gums.
Visit NuVet Labs Facebook to order NuVet Plus for your dog, or just enjoy reading feedback from NuVet pet parents. Follow @NuVetLabsOfficial on Facebook for pet themed entertainment and information.