As the temperature continues to rise towards the end of Summer, we want to enjoy cooling off in the pool. And so do our dogs!
It’s only a matter of when your dog swallows water swimming in a pool, although it only becomes an issue once they treat the pool as a large drinking bowl. Swallowing small amounts of chlorine-filled water has been shown to be harmless, although copious amounts cause stomach aches, vomiting, and even esophageal damage. Symptoms can even be fatal if the water is infected with harmful bacteria or parasites.
While salt-water pools have less chlorine in them, they are still hazardous depending on the pool’s sodium levels. In pools with low sodium, dogs typically will have symptoms of diarrhea. But pools with high sodium can dehydrate your dog and cause fatal symptoms such as seizures, brain damage, or kidney failure.
The next time you and your dog are at the pool, be cautious for their health! Check what kind of chemicals are in the pool, and if your dog is drinking the water keep a close eye on them! Leave a bowl of clean water for them to drink from outside the pool to help them stay safe.